Sunday, June 29, 2014

Peppers Stuffed with Pork

Cheese, beef, veggies, rice and lentils...those are just a few ways I've stuffed peppers over the years. This version, by Nigel Slater, caught my eye because the peppers are stuffed with a simple ground pork filling.  Nigel goes on to say that he's tried lots of fillings for peppers, but that this pork filling is his favorite.  I can see why.  These stuffed peppers were succulent and flavorful.  A go to recipe that I will be making again and again.   

It all begins with by combining onion, garlic, tomatoes, and Italian seasoning until it breaks down in the pan and becomes a saucy mixture. 
Then you simply add the raw ground pork to the pan, along with the breadcrumbs, and mix until everything is combined.  Halve and seed the peppers, boil them for about 5 minutes, then place on a baking sheet and fill with the pork mixture. Bake for 35 minutes and you're all set for one delicious dinner!  Really couldn't be easier.


Peppers Stuffed with Pork
Adapted from Tender
by Nigel Slater
Enough for 4

a large onion
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus a little more
2 cloves garlic
rosemary or other Italian herbs
2 large tomatoes
1 pound ground pork
1 cup breadcrumbs
6 smallish bell peppers
grated Parmesan, to taste

Preheat the oven to 400F.  Peel and finely chop the onion, then put it into a large, shallow pan with the oil over medium heat.  Let the onion soften without coloring.  Peel and slice the garlic, chop the leaves from the sprigs of rosemary (or other Italian herbs), and add to the onion. When all is soft and fragrant, chop the tomatoes and stir them in.  Continue cooking until the tomatoes have collapsed into the sauce.  Season with salt and black pepper, then stir in the ground pork and the breadcrumbs.  Remove from the heat.  Note: Pork will be raw at this point.  It will cook in the oven.

Cut the peppers in half lengthwise, remove the seeds, then lower them into a pan of boiling water and cook for six to eight minutes, until they are slightly limp.  Remove them with a slotted spoon and put them, skin side down, in an ovenproof baking dish.

Divide the pork mixture among the peppers, then moisten with a little olive oil.  Scatter grated Parmesan over the top and bake for thirty-five minutes, until sizzling.


Theme: Mediterranean Magic!

8 comments:

  1. Yeah! Another great mediterranean dish without pasta!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love stuffed peppers! These look easy to make and so delish. I am loving this cooking time with Nigel's recipes. Hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a simple stuffing, yet filled with so much flavor! Gotta love a meal like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great color on the top of those peppers. Stuffed peppers are very popular here, but they are usually stuffed with something like dirty rice. This seems almost like a pork meatloaf inside of a pepper! Will have to try this, Kim. Anything that starts with onions, garlic, and tomatoes gets my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This does look like such a simple and tasty meal and so perfect on that bed of rice too. Yum! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love pork. I love peppers. But I never would have thought to put one inside the other. This is a great idea, and I bet it tastes absolutely sensational. As soon as summer and "pepper season" comes around I'll be trying this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love stuffed bell peppers and I have to try these since they are a big departure from the rice/beef/sausage mixture that I've always done. These sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love stuffed peppers and never think to make them. Love the pork and Italian seasonings in this one.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.