Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Garides Saganaki (Shrimp with Feta and Tomato)

This is one of those recipes that you make, devour, and then think of little else until you make it again. In the past my favorite way to enjoy shrimp was simply with garlic and butter.  After eating this dish I will tell you that this recipe is every bit as good as a simple dish of shrimp with garlic and butter, if not better.  For me, it is perfection! Shrimp, tomatoes, garlic, a little bit of green onion, and lots of feta cheese, both melted into the sauce and sprinkled on top.  Tangy, salty, garlicky, and tender.  I just love this dish.

In Greece this dish is served as an appetizer, commonly referred to as mezze, but in my home it's more like a main dish.  My Mom and I loved this so much we devoured it all.  Thank God no one else was around.  Things become rather messy and unladylike.

If you enjoy shrimp I highly recommend this recipe.

Garides Saganaki 
(Shrimp with Feta & Tomato)
Adapted from Food From Many Greek Kitchens
Serves 6-8 as a mezze/appetizer
Serves 2-4 as a main course

About 15 medium raw shrimp
5 tablespoons olive oil
3 green onions, finely chopped
5 garlic cloves, chopped
14-ounce can crushed tomatoes
1/4 cup chopped parsley
salt and freshly ground pepper
4-1/2 ounces feta, crumbled

Peel the shrimp, leaving the tails intact, and devein them using a toothpick.  Heat the oil in a wide nonstick pan that has a lid and saute the onion on medium-low heat until softened.  Add the garlic and fry until it smells good, then add the tomatoes, half the parsley and some salt and pepper.  Put the lid on and simmer for 10 minutes or so.

Add the shrimp to the pan and turn through to cover all of them with sauce.  Simmer, covered, for 3 to 4 minutes.  Scatter the feta in, put the lid back on and cook until the feta just softens, about 5 minutes, rocking the pan once or twice.  Serve with a good grind of pepper and the remaining parsley scattered on top, and some lovely Greek bread.

Theme: Mezze Madness

24 comments:

  1. I am all Greek for this! great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so tasty. I'm not sure about the tomato/seafood thing...it's not a combination that I've done .... Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a great meal! We love all these wonderful Greek flavors and I'm looking forward to trying this yummy dish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely wonderful! Definitely one of my faves too. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made something similar to this, and loved it! Some people say fish + cheese is a no-no, but this recipe would surely change their minds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is my favorite way to use shrimp!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you are right--since I made this a couple of months ago, I have thought of it often--such a great combination of flavors. Your pictures are making me drool all over again. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like a winner, Kim. Like you, I think butter, garlic, wine and shrimp is hard to beat but this concoction gives it a run for its money.

    ReplyDelete
  9. first off, i'm so glad you guys are safe!! i think about you every time i hear about the tornadoes down there, i can't imagine how scary that must have been!

    second off, i love this shrimp! i made shrimp to share with a friend today since no one in my family will eat it. i'll have to make this next. the flavors sound amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This shrimp dish sounds interesting,Kim! Great flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dang it! Now I'm thinking about this all over again.
    The Boy enjoyed it tossed with pasta.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks so good, I rarely think to serve shrimp with cheese but feta would work great.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I made this before and it's every bit as good as you say! Definitely worthy of a main dish! I tossed mine with pasta.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kim, I've made this a few times. I agree, it's amazing! I could eat this every night.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would totally be going at this with my fingers. Unabashedly. Love these fresh flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just made a very similar dish using goat cheese with basil. The combination of the creamy cheese and the sweet tomatoes are a perfect accompaniment to the shrimp. And yours looks divine Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'll try and i'm sure the result will be perfect as usual ...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love it when I feel that way about a recipe. Sometimes it even surprises me.
    Looks like I better try this, Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Okay. I'm convinced ;). That sounds and looks seriously delicious. I just bought shrimp and feta for two separate recipes, but I'm thinking of combining them and making this instead. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey there Kim! This looks delish. Nice to see you again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love this recipe!!! The flavors go together so well and the bonus of being an easy-to-make dish is a plus.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This looks delicious, and if you recommend this above the garlic-prawns i have to try some....

    ReplyDelete
  23. I totally loved this dish too. When I went to Greece last year, this was a dish I enjoyed at a little sidewalk cafe in Athens on my first night, so it brought back lots of wonderful memories. The fact that it's also so simple to put together is also a real bonus - I know I'll be making this again, many times.
    Sue xo

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am not a copycat but I have been making this recipe for many years, have never heard of this recipe till now, August 2017. Basically, I quarter my tomatoes, drizzle them with a good slug of olive oil, add herbs and spices ( Italian seasoning, either fresh or dried), into a 350 degrees oven until he tomatoes render their juice, spoon the juice over the tomatoes, top with lots of crumbled feta , leave it in the oven for the feta to partially melt. In the meantime, once the crumbled feta are added the tomatoes, I use wild shrimp, about 12-15 count, cleaned and deveined prior to processing the tomatoes, stir fry them with EVOO. Before the shrimp goes into the wok, i add literally tons of garlic, ( one head -2 heads depending on how much tomatoes and shrimp are being cooked as my husband and I simply adore this dish).Once the garlic become fragrant, before the garlic burns, I add a tin or two of anchovies in olive oil and then, just before the anchovies melt, add my shrimp, herbs, chipotle and adobo sauce . This takes just a few minutes as I do not want to overcook the shrimp. ( with out for the combination of feta and anchovy as it can get too salt. I do not salt my dish at all. One use 2 tins if I make about 3 pounds of shrimp and 2 rectangular dish of tomatoes) The shrimp is then added to the tomatoes,sprinkle some parsley ,served with rice.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.