Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Chicken Breast with Orange, Olives, and New Potatoes *Recipe #26 - page 88*

This is a five star recipe!! I wasn't looking forward to cooking, but I ended up really enjoying my time in the kitchen with this dish. The smell was wonderful and for once I wasn't cooking with onions and garlic. Don't get me wrong, I love onions and garlic, but it is just a nice change of pace to have a dish with such nice clean and fresh flavors. I was patient to get a good sear on my chicken breasts and they ended up beautiful and were very crispy. The orange slices gave a nice subtle orange flavor and the olives added a little salty flavor to the overall dish. There are only 4 new potatoes sliced in the whole dish, so the potato is not too heavy. I think this is a beautiful dish to entertain with and would be gorgeous rounded out with a salad on the side. The chicken was juicy and just all around delicious. This is a healthy and delicious meal and I am dreaming up other combinations to imitate this meal. I am thinking about limes and some southwest flavors. Chili-Lime Chicken.... I must be feeling creative today.

Ingredients:
extra virgin olive oil
2 large chicken breast halves, skin on
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 new potatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 cup black olives, pitted
1/2 orange, sliced
fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley leaves, for garnish

Preheat oven to 350F. In a large ovenproof saute pan heat a 3-count of olive oil (3tbsps.) over medium heat. Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper; add them to the pan; skin sides down. Cook for 10 minutes until the skin is golden brown, then turn breasts over and add potatoes, olives, and orange slices. Cook for 5 minutes more, until the potatoes begin to brown. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer pan to oven and bake for 12 -15 minutes, until chicken is golden brown and juices run clear (180F). Garnish with fresh parsley leaves.

**My chicken breasts were pretty big and they cooked in the allotted time, about 15-17 minutes.
My meat thermometer broke again. I have a drawer full of new meat thermometers. They only last about 5-10 uses and then they break on me. Good thing they are relatively cheap. I have to replace them constantly.

Everyone please try this. It is healthy, fresh, light and refreshing. One of my Tyler fave's!!

7 comments:

  1. I have the same darned problem with meat thermometers. I cant stand it. Drives me batty. This dish looks outstanding and so flavorful, and relatively easy. A must try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love olives and oranges together, you dish is so colourful and tasty looking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks and sounds delicious and I love the lightness of it. A beautiful dish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh does this sound good. Perfect for a spring or summer dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i was just looking at this recipe last night. if you give it 5 stars, it's moving to the must make list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds bright and refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to buy a meat thermometer ... thks for letting me know that I should just stock up! Good recipe, this one ... simple and flavorful.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.