Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Crunchy Jicama, Mango, and Cucumber Salad *Recipe #5 - Page 241*


This is a colorful, beautiful and refreshing recipe from the fresh and raw chapter. I was very impressed with the colors, textures and overall flavor. It was fresh, crunchy, sweet, tart and had heat from the pepper flakes. I think it would pair well alongside chicken or pork. It would also be great with any Mexican dish.
Jicama was on my list of rare things I needed to cook my way through the book. I had never bought, tasted or cut a jicama before so I was pretty excited to do something new in the kitchen. In fact, I've noticed a lot of Tyler's recipes involve something new for me. I'm glad I chose this book for that reason. It is always fun to do something new and exciting in the kitchen.
I am glad that I cut the recipe in half because it made a huge amount of salad, which I think would serve 4-6 people. Tyler's recipe is double what I have listed below. Unless you want to serve 4-6 people an entire plate of this, I would suggest cutting the recipe in half.
Ingredients are: 1 small jicama, 1 small cucumber, 1 mango, 2 radishes, 1 tsp. red pepper flakes, 1 lime (juice only), extra-virgin olive oil, kosher salt and cilantro.
Peel and cut the jicama into 2-inch long wedges. Slice cucumber in half; scoop out seeds and cut into 2 inch wedges to match jicama. Peel the mango and slice into 2 inch wedges. Cut the two radishes into very thin slices using a mandoline or very sharp knife. Combine all ingredients into a bowl with the dried red pepper flakes, juice of one whole lime, and cilantro. Drizzle with a little bit of olive oil and toss to coat. Garnish with kosher salt and cilantro before serving.

1 comment:

  1. this sounds really good, very light and fresh. i've tasted jicama but never used it at home before. i'm with you, tyler's recipes usually seem to have some kind of twist to them that i'm not used to seeing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.