Sunday, January 25, 2009

Amaretto Chocolate Brownies *Recipe 7 - Page 200*

Well, there is a reason that I couldn't get a very good picture of these..... I had a seven-year old chocaholic standing over my shoulder waiting to snatch one. After she took one, I tried to get a better picture, but the prospect of a homemade brownie with cocoa whipped cream was too inticing. I haven't made a homemade brownie in years. I enjoy a chewy and fudgy brownie and this recipe is exactly what I was hoping it would be.
Here is the other funny thing about this recipe. I live in a dry county in Kentucky and we cannot buy alcohol here. I had to go to the Lexington county line to buy the Amaretto. Incidentally, the liquor store is actually a drive thru across from a rather large trailer park and it is aptly named "First Chance Liquors". Anyway, I have to think in advance if I am going to make a recipe with wine or liquor in it.

RECIPE
2 sticks unsalted butter
8 ozs. bittersweet chocolate chips
1 - 1/4 cups a/p flour
1 tsp. baking power
pinch of kosher salt
4 large eggs
2 cups sugar
2 tbsp. amaretto
1 recipe cocoa whipped cream (1pint of heavy cream, plus 2 tbsp. cocoa powder and 2 tbsps. confectioner's sugar beat on high speed until soft peaks form).

Preheat oven to 350. Line a 9-inch square pan with greased parchment paper. Melt butter and chocolate chips in a double boiler and stir gently until smooth and shiny. Remove from heat and cool slightly. (*if you do not let this cool, you will have scrambled eggs).
Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl; set aside. Using a kitchen stand mixer, beat eggs, sugar, and amaretto on high speed about 3 minutes, until well combined. Reduce speed to low and slowly pour in melted chocolate mixture, to combine. Gradually add flour and incorporate until just combined.
Transfer batter to the baking dish and bake about 50 minutes. Let cool, cut into bars. Serve with cocoa whipped cream.

I followed this recipe exactly, however I added more sugar to the cocoa whipped cream because it just wasn't sweet enough.

I went to the grocery store this morning and I will be making a lot of things this week. Here is a summary of what is to come:
Perfect Roast Chicken
California Bacon & Eggs
Rosemary-Garlic Mozzarella Balls
Brussel Sprouts Salad
Caramelized Onion and Roasted Rosemary Focaccia
Whole Wheat Pullman Loaf - with Smashed Chickpea Salad as a filling (recieved this recipe from another blogger)

Have a great week!!

3 comments:

  1. I had no idea there were dry counties!
    Well, now you have some. :)
    I have my eye on these too, they just sound so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to try these! They look so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter and I are upset that these brownies are gone now. We were eating them for breakfast when school was out all week. Now we are craving them like mad and I do have that full bottle of amaretto staring at me : )

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.